Sunday, April 08, 2007

sin·is·ter

1 archaic : unfavorable, unlucky
2 archaic : fraudulent
3 : singularly evil or productive of evil
4 a : of, relating to, or situated to the left or on the left side of something b : of ill omen by reason of being on the left
5 : presaging ill fortune or trouble6 : accompanied by or leading to disaster

I have a number of left-handed people in my life, and have long been after an explanation as to why they seem to be a particularly difficult bunch. Okay, that may not be exactly fair...or true, but it is nice to have a little extra ammunition for arguments with those of the left-hand persuasion.

Some ill-fortune as a result of left-handedness occurred this morning. I went over to Jamie's house early to iron his shirt so he would look all dapper for easter (I could let you go on thinking how ridiculous it is that he doesn't know how to iron his own shirt, but I have to confess that this is really my issue - he doesn't exactly iron to my standards, so I'd rather do it myself. I know. Perhaps it's a little overbearing, but it doesn't seem to bother him since it means he doesn't have to iron). He was all excited to wear his hot new madras tie and had looked up a different way to tie it just for the occasion. So as I was watching him tie his tie I noticed that he was doing a few things backwards (slash wrong). Not that I love pointing out when he's wrong...I don't...but I thought I should maybe help him out, since I noticed and all.

As you can probably guess, my criticism was not very well received. Not that I can blame him...I mean, who wants to hear that they are unable to follow simple, illustrated instructions? But seriously, why let someone do something wrong when you know how to do it right? Maybe I should have just stayed out of it and let him figure it out on his own. Oh well. I blame the left-handedness. It is evil, afterall.

1 comment:

meredith said...

you realize you also have to walk on the left of a person...which is 4b :)

I'm not sure of the protocol for recognizing evilness in a friend. can we exorcise your leftedness tendencies?