Monday, November 27, 2006

in·vei·gle \in-VAY-gul\

1 : to win over by wiles : entice
2 : to acquire by ingenuity or flattery : wangle

I feel like this word doesn't really fit its sound. It bothers me. The definition suggests it is an endeavor of charm...but I can't give it so much credit.

Maybe it is just my attitude lately. I refuse to be wangled by the common seductions of recent: the sparkle and ever jolly atmosphere of the upcoming season, the relaxing nature of a brainless but entertaining read, and, sadly, the always loyal and lovable golden retriever. (Gasp!)

Ok, before you hate me for not being a dog-lover, please know that I gave it my best effort. I house sat/dog sat for some friends this weekend, and was determined to appreciate the companionship of what we call man's best friend. And there couldn't have been a better specimen with which to test my canine-friendliness than Micah. I would even call him pretty. I actually went into the weekend half expecting to eat all of my previous anti-dog sentiments and even imagining myself falling into the classic single-girl (soon-to-be) in the city cliche of dog ownership.

Rest assured, there will be no humble word-eating today. At least not about dogs. Unless they come up with a dog who doesn't need smelly food, has no hair (or at least doesn't require you to ever touch it), makes no lip-licking sounds (actually, it might be good if there was no tongue at all), and doesn't wake you up in the middle of the night with his face in your face because he is freaked out by the windstorm, I have some suspicion that my feelings will not be changing any time soon. Go ahead and call me high maintenance or shallow. I'm over it.

Don't worry, I am not becoming completely inhuman. I am actually starting to give in to the fun of Christmas, be it reluctant. It is only, after all, November 27. We have almost a month to go. But since I have just discovered a Christmas song out by the Smashing Pumpkins, (Christmastime - not even kidding - why did no one tell me!) as ridiculous as it may seem, it is hard not to get a little caught up.

2 comments:

J. Mark Tebben said...

So you're looking for a hairless, tongueless, stomachless, faceless dog...

I'll put it on your Christmas list.

meredith said...

are you calling me a cliche?

seriously?